Thursday, August 19, 2010

What's in a Name.

When I think about my childhood summers, I think of my sweet Grandma Mary. I think of flying across the country from the East coast to the West to spend weeks at her home- playing in the gully behind her house, taking walks down her old neighborhood sidewalks and watching Anne of Green Gables in her bedroom. My grandmother is known in her town and the surrounding areas for her sweet cinnamon rolls. They are basically the most delicious thing you have ever tasted and she has made tens of thousands of them in her life- no exaggeration. The smell of cinnamon reminds me of her and brings to mind a picture of her kneading homemade dough on the counter, flour covering her handmade denim dress. My grandmother has always been one of my best friends. Eventually we moved across the country, and in high school I used to go over to her house with my mom every few days. We would stretch out on her big sleigh bed and chat about our lives now and her life then- a childhood growing up on a ranch by the lake. I loved to picture my grandma carrying around her baby lambs and running with her brothers down to swim in the water. There was a simplicity then that we need in our lives now, a simplicity that always seems to make its way into my artword. My grandmother has always encouraged my art, her enthusiasm for every new drawing would brim over until you thought you were Picasso himself! And so, this little adventure is dedicated to her. Hopefully one of my drawings will bring a little cheer to someone the way her cinnamon smell has brought to so many others and to me.
xo,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but more likely it's because what you wrote is so real and close to my heart that it would send my emotions flying regardless of being pregnant or not. I'm crying like a baby. Beautifully written. I can't wait to see all the remarkable works of art your mind dreams up. xoxox, Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes too. I'm just putting myself in your shoes and your relationship with your grandmother, and find that I am in the same place with my own lovely grandmas.
    Now I understand Cinnamon Ink. I think that it is a perfectly fitting name and description for your company. I am so exciting it's coming to fruition!
    I couldn't comment on every post today, but most likely we shall buy one of each to decorate my new bedroom. Yee-haw.
    I love you so much Kate. I just know you will go far. J'adore!

    ReplyDelete